"Did I tell you it can also travel in time?"

Filed under: , by: Aaron Price on Friday, December 19, 2008 @ 10:55 PM

I am in the midst of catching up on the awesome revival of the Dr. Who series. Tonight I finished the last ep of season 2 and was quite amused to learn that 3D anaglyph glasses will let you see the deas ex machina of the week - pieces of "nothingness" that surround people. I think this image should be our new logo.

I was also surfing the Internet at work today while waiting for an InDesign CS install to fail for the third time in a row when I ran across this at the BBC: Sky Moves to 3D Broadcasts. Apparently when one starts a stereoscopic blog, it's a bit like buying a new car. Suddenly you see the new model all over the road.

The story takes what I said about 3D on television and advances it a few years. Apparently they are testing it now and, as we predicted, on sports. They only tested it on a small audience and they used polarized glasses. That means either 1. they had two projectors inside the TV throwing the image on a single screen or 2. they have a new screen technology that does polarization in a new fashion - perhaps with interlaced pixels. In any event, if they spent money on setting up equipment at a stadium, then they must be close to making it happen.

So far the first few entries of this nascent blog has been mainly about business. I promise to get into the research and technology aspect soon. It's just that I underestimated how quickly the consumer electronics companies are moving on this!

0 comments: